Midway Mindset

DO ONE THING TODAY THAT MAKES YOU FEEL BRAVE

I didn’t think it could happen to me.

If I could choose one mindset that succinctly sums up most of my life it would be those eight words. The unimaginable.

A near fatal blood kidney disease was the last thing I would have thought I’d deal with my junior year of high school (so were the hickeys I gave the guy I was kinda seeing the night before his confirmation.) I didn’t think I’d be married by the age of 21 or have three children by the age of 27. I wouldn’t have wished that my youngest child was autistic, but it happened all the same.  It would have hurt too much to imagine I would lose both of my parents by the age of 38, just six years apart, or that my mother-in-law would be murdered in 2001. I would have been devastated to think I’d be divorced by the age of 49.

And I certainly never thought I’d take a 14,500-foot skydiving leap as a way to cope.

I never dreamed I’d be dating a hunky fireman at 52 (well….I might have fantasized once or twice after a few glasses of wine) or that I would be sending vaguely inappropriately pictures of New Kids on the Block to my best friend each night, a 48-year-old woman with special needs.

I’ve lived an interesting life, some of which I wouldn’t have ever wanted and most of which I never would have thought to ask for as a little girl. I’m grateful for all of it. But, here’s the cool part. I’m only midway through. As long as my parachute doesn’t fail I have another few decades and many more months to go. There are things waiting for me that I have never even imagined. Some are probably sad and tragic, and I try not to think about those. Many are mundane, work, bills, silly arguments with the fireman, but… others are quite possibly so indescribably wonderful that I can’t even begin to visualize what they are. And that keeps me going.

I look at life a little bit like baseball. Sometimes we just play it safe and wait for our turn to run to the next base. For those of us that tend to be a bit impulsive or easily bored, we steal bases. We take chances every day, often not thinking about what comes next or the end result. Sometimes we’re stranded between third and home, uncertain whether we race back to safety, or go for it and slide in for the run. We’re hesitant, we lack confidence…we can’t picture how it’s going to turn out. But if you hesitate, if you don’t take your chance, before you know it, the umpire calls you out. Game over.

Here’s the thing. I don’t want to be tagged out. I don’t want to play it safe or easy. I want to go for it. I want to live and laugh and get as dirty as I can, spending the last years of my life doing things that I never imagined possible. I want to leave this world needing a long hot shower, saying ‘I didn’t think it could happen to me, but I’m sure glad that it did.’

Want to come with?

Advertisements

28 thoughts on “I Didn’t Think it Could Happen to Me…

1. Wendy says:

Katie, you never cease to amaze me! So thankful you have started a blog! I can’t wait to hear of your adventures! Hugs!

Liked by 1 person

1. You’re my first comment! You always remember your first (Lol!) Thank you…truly. I’m taking a HUGE leap of faith.

Liked by 1 person

1. Mark Rakes says:

A great mindset, very inspiring! You will fare well for the remainder of your life with this mindset. Reaffirm as needed!

2. deb says:

You know it!

1. Thanks, Deb. I plan on you needing a hot shower when all is said and done as well!

3. Aim for the fences, pal! And run like hell.

1. That means a lot coming from you! Thanks for the encouragement. Miss seeing you and Italian Guy.

4. Liz says:

Well done my friend! You have always had a way with words. Enjoy your journey.

1. Thanks for the support, Liz. Miss you. That beach is a lucky soul to get so much of you!

5. Vanessa Zitzmann says:

I haven’t seen you in years but I have to say I adore you and your brutally honest outlook. Sonetimes its positive, sometimes not and always through a lens of humor. Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion 😉
    I can’t wait to read your adventures, I’ve always thought you’d be a great writer!

Liked by 1 person

1. I love you for writing this. Thank you. I’ve changed a lot in the past few years and am finally at a place where I can be brutally honest. It’s been an evolution. Thank you for “seeing” me. Miss you.

6. Melanie says:

Count me in Girl! From one adventurer to another!

1. It won’t be as exciting as crime fighting but hopefully a lot funnier!

7. Sydney says:

Um…yes?! Love you and can’t wait to read more!

1. Thanks, Sydney. I think of you often. Hope all is well.

8. dereklc says:

Yes please….!

1. Be careful what you wish for 🙂

9. Tammy says:

I love this Katie and I love you ❤️

1. Thank you, Tammy. I miss you and Jeremy. Hope all is well.

10. Ruth Ann says:

Well done! For both your outlook and the article!

Life can throw us curves sometimes but i just pretend i am on a waterslide and that there is a refreshing pool at the bottom and try to make a big splash.

Sometimes when it is a crazy day/life and things are a little whilly nilly and out of sorts i try to play the “Glad Game” like Pollyanna.

Glad to have met you!

1. Thank you, Ruth. Sounds like we’ll both need a hot shower and some soap when life is done with us!

11. Jan DeMaggio says:

This is wonderful!! I can’t wait to read more…..

1. Thank you, Jan. You’ve always been such a huge support. I look at my sock monkies every day and think of you!

12. evansithink says:

This is great. I’m looking forward to reading more of your work. It also encourages me to dust off my blog from years ago and start writing again. Thanks for sharing.

1. I’d love to read some of your work. Hoping I can sustain. I smell a writing support group!

13. vivie5 says:

So glad you’re giving us something to whet our appetites! I’ve always loved reading your posts, and hope this leads to your first book!

1. You are so sweet. Thank you! I finally am brave enough to feel like I even have a voice. We’ll see how loud it is 🙂

14. mikerumble says:

What makes you unique is not just that you have a “hunky fireman” in your life, but that you also have a “crazy Canadian” in your life as well who has the same passion for writing. It took a lot for me to find the nerve to start blogging again. I wrote one back in January, but haven’t blogged since. And as usual, you have inspired me to do just that and blog again! When it comes to life, I’ve come to the conclusion that while it is our life, the big man upstairs is the one who is truly in control, and if we just do what Carrie Underwood sings and let “Jesus Take The Wheel”, everything goes in the most wonderful way…even if it’s a way we don’t necessarily think is the best way. Now that I’m following you…you gotta follow me…http://www.rumblesrumblings.wordpress.com.

And yes, regardless of the “hunky fireman” in your life, I love you to moon and back! 🙂

Mike